R Ashwin got closer to breaking Kumble’s record as the fastest Indian bowler to 500 wickets in Test cricket. But before he could accomplish the goal, Ben Stokes’ team was eliminated, consequently, he missed the milestone.”
With 499 wickets remaining,
veteran Indian spinner R Ashwin came dangerously close to being the first player to take 500 Test wickets for his country. In the second test in Vizag, India beat England by 106 runs. Before Ben Stokes’ team was eliminated, Ashwin was close to overtaking Kumble to become the fastest Indian to 500 wickets in Test cricket. Now Ashwin left his mark on yet another historic feat. By surpassing the renowned leg spinner Bhagwat Chandrashekhar to become the bowler with the most wickets for India in Test cricket matches against England, Ashwin created history. In 23 matches against England, Chandrashekhar took 95 wickets, including eight five-wicket hauls.
Ashwin was only two wickets away
from breaking the record for the most wickets taken by an Indian bowler in a Test match against England before the Vizag Test. Ashwin’s total does not put him at the top of the list for most wickets in Test matches between India and England, even though he did not pick up any in the first innings. After taking three wickets in the first innings of the Vizag Test, seasoned fast bowler James Anderson is now leading the group with 144 wickets in 36 Test matches against India.
The bowlers who reached 500 Test wickets the quickest are:
- 87 games for Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka
- India’s Anil Kumble in 105 games
- Australia’s Shane Warne in 108 games
- Australia’s Glenn McGrath in 110 games
- In 129 games, Courtney Walsh (West Indies)
- England’s James Anderson in 129 games
- England’s Stuart Broad in 140 games
- In the Vizag Test, Ashwin claimed three wickets in the second innings to raise his score to 499, but Jasprit Bumrah’s outstanding effort was the decisive factor in India’s victory and 1-1 series draw.
Join Our Group For All Information And Update, Also Follow me For the Latest Information